The Voice 4/21 Recap: The Final Eight

Last night I thought that among Joshua, Hannah, Corey and Deanna, two of them would end up in the bottom three. And it came to pass that two of them were. Which two? Let’s quickly find out.

First the saves:

America Saves! 1: Koryn Hawthorne and Corey Kent White. No surprises. Corey has a pretty easy path, as he is the only country singer left. He will get votes, so long as he doesn’t have a terrible performance. I don’t see him winning though. Koryn had certainly her best performance Monday night, and may have been the best on the night.

America Saves! 2: Sawyer Fredericks and India Carney. No surprises here either. India is too talented to go this soon, and Sawyer has been extremely consistent. Plus he apparently is killing it on iTunes.

America Saves! 3: Meghan Linsey and Kimberly Nichole. The ringer was going through regardless-she may be the best in the competition (start your complaints if you think it isn’t fair). Kimberly Nichole has had a pretty good last couple of weeks; based on those performances, this is about right.

America Saves! 4: Hannah Kirby. Okay, I’m not her biggest fan. She does have a powerful voice, but what she did to Tears For Fears’ “Shout” on Monday’s show was just awful. I think this spot should have belonged to Rob Taylor.

So, with those seven coming back next week, it’s time for the Instant Save. Rob Taylor, Deanna Johnson and Joshua Davis each got one “save me!” performance to prove themselves worthy of the final spot in next week’s live show. First up, Rob gave us his version of Otis Redding’s “(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay”:

I like this song. I like Rob. But Rob’s voice sounds like it’s running out of gas. He sounds a bit hoarse; and now that I think about it, he sounded a bit hoarse on Monday’s show too. This was pleasant enough, but I didn’t think it was enough for him to be saved.

Deanna Johnson was next, and her chosen song was Kris Kristofferson’s “Help Me Make It Through The Night”:

Well…it was alright. Not spectacular. Adam said on Monday’s show that the audience had only seen 40 percent of what Deanna could do. Sadly, I think her confidence issues and two weeks in the bottom three show that we won’t get to see the other 60%.

That leaves Joshua Davis, who performed Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down”:

This one was alright too. I mean, you know what you’re going to get with Joshua. And this time, I think the guitar may have helped him, as opposed to last night. It was solid.

After some babbling from the coaches, the Instant Save goes to: Joshua Davis. Judging from the early vote percentages the audience was able to see, it wasn’t even close.

So the final eight is set: My front-runner is Meghan Linsey, with Sawyer Fredericks a close second. I’m a fan of India Carney, but she needs to be more consistent. Any of the others have a decent shot, depending on future song choices and performances. See you next week.

Leave A Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s