One of Teddy Pendergrass’ greatest love songs is the classic “Love TKO”, released in 1980 from his TP album. Well fast-forward thirty-five years later, and a new Teddy tribute album is in the works, called Duets — Love & Soul. The album will be filled with posthumous duets featuring Mr. Pendergrass and a wide range of singers, including Martha Reeves, the Stylistics, the Ohio Players, Jody Watley and Maxi Priest.
The first single featured from the upcoming album is the aforementioned “Love TKO,” done as a duet with Angie Stone. While I love Angie Stone, and the original is of course a certified R&B classic, this one right here goes in the do. not. want. category. It just never catches fire the way the original did. And looking at the tracklisting and the pairings for the upcoming album, doesn’t scream “must-have” either; especially if this is representative of what’s to come.
But I’m only one person. Perhaps you might like it better than me. Take a listen and see what you think.
A hat tip to SoulBounce for the information about the new album. By the way, that tracklisting is as follows:
Teddy Pendergrass Duets – Love & Soul tracklist:
1. “Love TKO” with Angie Stone
2. “It Don’t Hurt Now” with Shuggie Otis & The Stylistics
3. “Can’t We Try” with Noora Noor
4. “Close The Door” with Eric Gales
5. “Come Go With Me” with Martha Reeves
6. “Turn Off The Lights” with Linda Clifford
7. “When Somebody Loves You Back” with The Ohio Players
8. “You’re My Latest, My Greatest Inspiration” with The Stylistics
9. “The Whole Town’s Laughing At Me” with Maxi Priest
10. “And If I Had” with Rose Royce
11. “Only You” with Bonnie Pointer
12. “I Can’t Live Without Your Love” with Jody Watley & Tom Scott