Welcome to this week’s Sunday Slow Jams, also known as the weekly post where I try to play a Quiet Storm DJ.
For fans of the Quiet Storm, the name Bridgette Bryant may not ring any bells. Through my research, the only thing I can claim is that she is a session singer—meaning that she usually sings backup for the featured artist or band at recording sessions. I looked for a recording, or even a chart hit under her own name and found nothing.
However, I’ve seen her name featured on two songs that I’ve included in today’s Sunday Slow Jams playlist. Rather than a triple play this week, I’ve given the unsung Bridgette Bryant the spotlight (though the recordings are under others’ names) with a couple ballads. Through her work with Boney James and Gary Taylor, we’ll hear the lovely voice of Ms. Bryant.
The songs included in this week’s playlist can be found below the video. Be sure to seek out the song if it doesn’t play.
The playlist for “Sunday Slow Jams: Happy Home”:
- “Seduction” by Boney James
- “That’s The Way I Feel About ‘Cha” by Aretha Franklin
- “Love Me In A Special Way” by DeBarge
- “Breathe Again” by Toni Braxton
- “Here I Go Again” by Glenn Jones
- “After The Love Has Lost Its Shine” by Regina Belle
- “Happy Home” by Boney James (featuring Bridgette Bryant)
- “Special” by Gary Taylor (featuring Bridgette Bryant)
- “It’s Not Hard To Love You” by Al Jarreau
- “Reaching For The Sky” by Peabo Bryson
- “By Your Side” by Con Funk Shun
- “Don’t You Know” by Meli’sa Morgan
- “Happy Endings” by Ashford & Simpson
Boney James gets a double dose this week; not only does he get the usual duties for the “theme” song for these posts, he also is featured on the title track, “Happy Home,” along with the aforementioned Ms. Bryant. I’m awaiting new music from Gary Taylor, he’s one of the most underrated artists working in R&B today. He’s written songs for the likes of Anita Baker and The Whispers.
The Aretha tune is a cover of Bobby Womack’s hit from a couple years earlier; the version included here is an alternate take from the one released on Franklin’s Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of The Sky) from 1973. DeBarge’s “Love Me In A Special Way” is here because The Teacher and I were discussing acts we had seen in concert, and DeBarge was touring behind the album this song was featured on when I saw them. Some of my favorites fill out the rest of the playlist; some well-known, others not so much.
A Spotify playlist of this week’s songs (featuring an alternate version of the Glenn Jones song, and missing the Meli’sa Morgan track, which isn’t on the service) can be found below:
I hope you enjoy this week’s edition of slow jams, and thanks for reading and listening.