This week, there isn’t really a theme to the Sunday Slow Jam post. Just thirteen songs (twelve, if you don’t count Boney James’ theme music) that I chose mostly at random. Save for Kindred The Family Soul’s “Weather The Storm” which gave the post its title, and Bobby Caldwell’s “What You Won’t Do For Love” (the first song chosen), the rest are just songs that I chose. Even the Earth, Wind & Fire songs that form the “Triple Play” this week, I chose randomly.
So here we go…as always, I’ve posted a list of the songs in this week’s list below, in case the YouTube videos won’t play here.
The Sunday Slow Jams: Weather The Storm playlist:
- “Seduction” by Boney James
- “Play” by Goapele
- “Weather The Storm” by Kindred The Family Soul
- “What You Won’t Do For Love” by Bobby Caldwell
- “Never Let You Down” by Maze Featuring Frankie Beverly
- “Reasons” by Earth, Wind & Fire
- “Show Me The Way” by Earth, Wind & Fire featuring Raphael Saadiq
- “Be Ever Wonderful” by Earth, Wind & Fire
- “Make It Last” by Con Funk Shun
- “Let’s Get Closer” by Atlantic Starr
- “I Try” by Angela Bofill
- “Whatever You Want” by Tony! Toni! Toné!
- “Dedicate My Life To You” by Younghearts
The “Show Me The Way” song by Earth, Wind & Fire is kind of poignant: it marks one of the last, if not the last recorded vocal performance by group leader Maurice White. As White battle Parkinson’s disease, he was unable to tour or even perform with the group he founded. White passed away last year, but the group carried on. The Caldwell classic has been covered by many others, and sampled in a bunch of rap hits, but the original is still the best version, in my opinion. Caldwell is still singing; in fact he is the main voice behind the duo Cool Uncle, who released a very well-received album last year.
Below is the Spotify playlist of this week’s songs.
I hope you enjoy this week’s edition of the Sunday Slow Jams, and as always, thanks for reading and listening.